In Bram Stoker’s
Dracula, one can argue that because
of the characterization of new-age characters, such as the Harker’s and John
Seward, and old-age characters, such as Van Helsing and Count Dracula, Bram
Stoker showed how technology can make people overlook what is occurring,
whereas older means, such as superstition and religion, can hold people back in
modernizing.
Before we jump into any conclusions
on what technology holds for characters, we must first analyze what technology
brings to the table. According to Merriam-Webster’s online dictionary,
technology can be defined as the practical application of knowledge especially
in a particular area. Technology, being a “practical application”, can relate
to the motto: use it or lose it. If you do not keep practicing or using
technology, your skills in technology will worsen over time; for example, a
college student using a laptop or writing with a pen during the fall semester
for hours a week may finish the summer losing an apprehension of what shortcuts
do what and how it truly feels to hold a pen. However, in an article titled “Technology,
Wealth and Modern Management” by Slavko Dolinšek and Peter Štrukelj, both
employees at the University of Primorska in Slovenia, Rias J. van Wyk, Director
of Technoscan Centre in Minneapolis, Minnesota states that technology “is the
source of many benefits and most of our wealth…On the other hand it is
disturbingly disruptive”. He also goes on to state that “our understanding of
technology is poorly structured” (Dolinšek, and Štrukelj 29-30). Although
technology can benefit us, it can also harm us. If we do not get a full,
complete grasp of what has been developed, then we cannot improve ourselves. In
Dracula, Bram Stoker does a fantastic
job of showing us how it is beneficial and destructive, beneficial by saving
time, yet destructive by distracting attention from the main goals.
Previously noted, technology can be
a good thing, and within the characters of the Harker’s and Dr. John Seward,
this beneficial aspect of their lives is recognized within communication and
medical reasons, despite its prevalence in blinding them, which we will get to
after. This talking is related to Dr. John Seward’s use of the phonograph to
record his daily findings in himself, his patient Renfield, his lovely friend
Lucy, and his daily activities. He even uses it to help his insomnia and his inability
to eat when he states, “Cannot eat, cannot rest, so diary instead…the only cure
for this sort of thing is work, I went down amongst the patients” (Stoker 93).
This reliance on his form of technology and communication to himself helps him
keep his mind under control, and it helps him record his thoughts on his
patients easily.
Stoker does not only use this
means of personal benefit in only Dr. Seward, but he also uses it with the
beautiful Mina Harker. In a letter to Lucy Westenra, arguably Mina’s best
friend, Mina states she is using the typewriter, the mid-1800s development that
encouraged writing, to help Johnathan in his studies, and she is “practicing very
hard” (86). Her use of technology is for the loves of her life. This shows the
advancement of technology at that time period and how it was useful in
communicating to people.
With the rest of the paper, I will take an approach and further my
investigating on the characters and the prevalence of technology within the
theme of how it blinds others and creates openings for some. Like Mrs. Grover
said, this is a rough rough draft. My two mini-claims were the ones about
technology in general and the characters John Seward and Mina Harker. Please,
help me!
Works Cited
Dolinšek, Slavko, and Peter Štrukelj.
"Managing Global Transitions." Managing Global
Transitions. 10.1 (2012):
29-49. Web. 18 Nov. 2012. <http://www.fm-kp.si/zalozba/ISSN/1581-
Stoker, Bram. Dracula. Broadview. Peterborough: Broadview Press Ltd.,
1998. Print.
I think that you have a really interesting argument. And seeing as technology is becoming increasingly popular, your paper is interesting for our own generation. The first sentence is your topic sentence, correct? It is a really good start. But reading through it, I get a tad bit lost. When I read it again, though I find myself (if that makes any sense). Maybe you could make this idea into your entire first paragraph instead of putting everything into the one long thesis statement. For example, you could do your character examples outside of your thesis. (I know that Mrs. Grover did say to be brief with this introduction paragraph on our blogs, so just making suggestions for your final paper.)
ReplyDeleteThe only other thing besides just fine tuning is the organization (for lack of a better word, lol). I got lost just a tiny bit in the second paragraph, for example.
You're doing an awesome job and I think that you're on the right track so far! Keep up the good work!
I agree with Jordan, this topic has some great potential. As far as a thesis goes, it sounds like you're weighing the pros of modern technology, the cons of old tech, and how it's used by and for the characters in the story. I think you may want to take a stance on whether one side is better than the other, or that a combination is best, or something along those lines. So far, you've got a lot of great evidence and detail, but you're not really clearly stating an arguable opinion about the topic.
ReplyDeleteIf I were writing about this topic, I'd try to take a stance, because playing both sides of the argument would make my organization and thought process too convoluted.
Great start! Good luck!
Thank you Serena for making that a little clearer. I really like the idea of taking the side of either technology or science. Then you could form a really great argument toward whichever side it is that you choose. In this case, it would make your thesis sentence much easier to cut down and way clearer on the reader's end. There are tons of both within in story and I think it would be easy enough to find enough instances in the story to last you for 5 pages.
ReplyDeleteIt would be really interesting to read this as a strong argument after it is all done!!
Thank you, girls, for the good advice.
ReplyDeleteYeah, I made this a really rough draft. My first paragraph/sentence is my thesis/ topic sentence. I agree that it would help if I chose a side.
I'm thinking about saying something on the lines of, "Technology is best for the vampire hunters". Not literally saying something so bland, but you understand what I'm getting at. What do you guys think?
-David E.
I don't know David. To say that "Technology is best for vampire hunters" is not really true. They seem to use more superstitious means of defeating vampires (i.e. crosses, garlic, and communion wafers). It seems that technology was blinding them more than anything because it did not solve their problems. Perhaps it was meant to be like a terminator message that you cannot fully trust technology or the human race will end!! I don't know what do you think?
ReplyDelete-Aryn
I agree with the girls. Organization is somewhat of an issue. I think an outline would really help you plan out each paragraph. Our ideas seem to get carried away when we don't have a plan and make it harder for the reader to follow!
ReplyDeleteI think an interesting topic would be why some have access to technology and some don't and how that is so different from today. Is it monetary? Is it status? Is it education?
You say it distracts them from what they really should be doing. What are those things? Is Bram Stoker showing enlightenment? I feel like this is somewhat of an informative paper rather than an analysis. I know it's challenging though, there are so many ways you could go with this topic.
Stoker is implying that a lot of social change is occurring. How does technology effect that? And why should it be in the hands of some and not the other.
I think it would be interesting to further research the devices you mention themselves. Historical evidence could bring light to what these characters are truly receiving when they have the ability to use these tools, I think Aryn's statement is a little too difficult to take on. Maybe how does Stoker use technology to illustrate social change?
You have a great topic here David. I like how your provide a definition of what technology is and how it relates to our current time and then going directly into your main point. There is no "bubble room" or fillers here from what I see. like you said it is a rough rough draft, but it seems you have a solid idea as to what you are going to talk about. I think the only thing you have to really think about is how you are going to present the material. Good luck!
ReplyDelete