Planting the reader directly in the center of an emotionally
gripping story, Beloved reveals a rainbow of feelings both figuratively and
literally. Color is a universal and relatable symbol when placed in conjunction
with emotion. In the story, Morrison uses the symbolism of color to help
readers gain an intimate understanding of how slavery impacted the lives of
those in “Beloved”.
Although well publicized, slavery is a very abstract thing
to most. Present day society is not only distanced from slavery by time, but
also by the lack of similarity between today’s lifestyles and pre-abolition
lifestyles. Most stories about slavery merely retell what has been told
thousands of times. However, “Beloved” is different in that it actually plays
on the heartstrings of those who read it by using the few similarities that
still exist between the present and the past. By taking advantage of the
feelings evoked by color, most notably red and white, Morrison finds one of
these small similarities and exacerbates it throughout her novel.
What does red represent? Love, anger, life, possibly even
death? At some point all of the characters in “Beloved” feel or experience at
least one of these. The first reference to the color red is the light inside of
124. The light that is only there when Beloved is considered a ghost, not
present as a life form as she is after Paul D shows up. This red light is clearly
representational of the Earthly absence of Sethe’s daughter Beloved. According
to Keskar, red is a South African symbol of mourning (62). This makes sense,
because of the way Sethe refers to the light. “It’s not evil, just sad. Come
on. Just step through (Morrison 10).”
This light could also be a reflection of Beloved’s anger toward her
situation. Either way, this element is not present in the story by coincidence,
but rather to allow the reader an enhanced level of relation to the feelings of
the characters.
White stairs. White dress. White blossoms. In the story, all
of these seem to have an illusion of purity, life, or freedom. The stairs were
painted in honor of Beloved so she could see them and climb them. They are
referred to frequently in the story, and when they are it immediately reminds
the reader of Beloved and the tragedy that ended her life. When Denver witnesses
Sethe in the keeping room she sees . . . a white dress knelt down next to her
mother with (and had) its sleeve around her mother’s waist (Morrison 35). So
accustomed to seeing the color white in association with Beloved, it is default
to think that the dress is the ghost of Beloved. The dress is the size of a
woman, but its color symbolizes the purity of a baby. Paul D. follows the white
blossoms of trees to a place of safety. When he reaches the river, he knows he
has reached freedom. All of these instances are major points that give the
story emotional impact on the reader.
Not being present during the times of slavery and being
separated by lifestyle and sometimes race, it is hard for most to grasp the
strife that was subjected on those who were forced into slavery. By using some
of the human similarities that we all share, Toni Morrison goes beyond telling
a story. She gives the reader an experience in life of her characters.
Works Cited:
Keskar, Gulab. “Color psychology and its effect on Human Behavior.” Paintindia 60.5 (2010): 61-64.
Web.
Morrison, Toni. Beloved.
New York: Vintage International:
2004. Print.
ji
I think this is a really cool topic. I love to paint, and color naturally stood out to me while I was reading the book. I think you've got some great miniclaims and some awesome evidence, but I think your "so what" is somewhat buried by the absence of a really specific argument.
ReplyDeleteIn your intro, I identified the the thesis as your last sentence of paragraph 1. I think if you give us some specific methods or ways that Morrison uses color to give us that intimate understanding, you'd have a clearer focus. It feels like there's more to be said in that last sentence, we just can't see it.
That's just my two cents. Love, love, love! the topic. Hope that helps.
Thanks, Serena. Do you think that I should try to include the examples within the topic sentence or just into the intro? Now that I go back, I do see what you are referring to. It seems vagueish. I find it difficult to separate my thesis from my 'so what?'. Suggestions, anyone?
ReplyDeleteJordan,
ReplyDeleteGreat start. I love your topic. I think that you use great textual evidence so far in your paper. Watch out for your source integration, and you should introduce who the person is that you are quoting. I agree with Serena in the fact of where your thesis is. It clearly develops a literary device and a theme, but the "so what", like Serena stated, is a bit hidden.
Freedom and purity are the best choices to talk about with regards to the color white, and with the color red, death and mourning are great descriptions.
Great paper so far. Good luck! I love the topic as well. I wouldn't suggest including examples in your topic sentence. Leave that to the body paragraphs.
-David E.
Jordan I love your ideas. I didn't even pick up on the color red. I agree with Serena about your intro. You could add some examples in the intro but just enough so it is a sneak peak for us. Like Serena said I see your miniclaims but what is your main argument? Love your topic, now I wish I could have thought of that. Good Luck!!
ReplyDeleteYour thesis is very clear. It stood out and I followed it from the start, because it was so good, I feel like I tried to follow your topics and subtopics and the argument became unclear.
ReplyDeleteI want to talk about this sentence. It really draws me in and I love it! "Color is a universal and relatable symbol when placed in conjunction with emotion." I am sure you are aware, but this is probably the place where you could get some AWESOME research. I am in a Nonverbal Communication Course, and we have a whole chapter on colors and emotions.
When it comes to the topic sentences. I find them to be a little to abrupt for an analysis paper. EXPLICITLY STATE, instead of using your examples within the sentence itself.
You have awesome ideas, including emotion, symbolism, but I somewhat get confused as to where you are going, is intimate understanding equivalent to emotion? I think emotion would be the way to go. COLOR EVOKES EMOTION and it is in literature everywhere.
Maybe Morrison uses specific colors to evoke emotion within us, as readers. That would be an awesome argument. Also, it throws me off that in your conclusion your "So What?" does not mention color.
Awesome job so far! Your rough-rough draft is off to a great start!
Great topic! As you said Beloved is an abstract book and that is awesome you were able to discover this symbolism of colors. I never noticed that before. You have great textual evidence but as others said your thesis is a little unclear. In addition I had trouble finding the evidence on "using the few similarities that still exist between the present and the past"; perhaps elaborate a little more. But I know this is a rough rough draft I hope your end up writing about this because I would really enjoy seeing where this goes!
ReplyDelete-Aryn
your topic is a very interesting one, and i mean that in a good way! The use of colors is a great universal communicator that helps people from all over the world, as well as past and present, relate to one another. You provide a good amount of source information and examples. Overall, this paper has great potential and plenty of examples to help explain your point. Good luck!
ReplyDelete