Throughout
Beloved, Toni Morrison shows us a
number of methods used to contain and control the enslaved, including but not
limited to: guns, whips, chains, cages, law, restriction of education, and
naming. Above all other tools of subjugation, however, is a methodology so intimate
by our perspective that it is easy to shut our eyes to it: sex. Morrison’s use
of sex, rather than any other device, serves as the most dynamic tool used by and
against the characters depicted in the novel. The act doubles as a symbol for
something outside that which a modern audience would normally expect,
representing dominance, triumph, and slavery as well as occasional love and
tenderness.
The first
time we see sex in the book is immediately after Paul D chases away the baby
ghost. He and Sethe go up the stairs to her bedroom, where their enjoyment is
so fast that “it was over before they could get their clothes off” (24). At
first glance, this encounter seems to be well within the limits of what a
modern audience might expect. Yet, Paul D’s thoughts reveal a subconscious
second purpose. When he follows Sethe up the stairs, he thinks back to the
times on Sweet Home, when Sethe was Baby Sugg’s replacement and all the Sweet
Home men lusted after her in silence. As Paul D follows Sethe up the stairs, he
thinks not of their joint pleasure, but that he has beaten back the ghost, and
that “now he would do more” (24). Thus, sex becomes the spoils of the winner. A
trophy waved over the heads of the slewn. Finally, Paul D has won over the baby
ghost, over Halle, and over Sethe’s original refusal of him in choosing Halle.
Later,
after Beloved’s arrival, Sethe tells the story about her crystal earrings. She
and Halle “marry” in the cornfield with the blessing of their owners. Sethe
relates her sadness at there being no ceremony before the consummation of her
marriage. Later on, Sethe realizes that “marrying” Halle was not just the
consummation of her love for a man. After being around Schoolteacher, Sethe
comes to learn that her marriage to Halle produced marketable product for her
owners (232). Thus, sex becomes a tool for the proliferation of profit for the
benefit of white masters – a tool of subjugation and continued slavery. At the
same time, Halle and Sethe are happy being together, producing four children
out of their shared happiness.
Conversely,
Sixo discovers in his dying moments that his own sex was a sort of weapon
against his captors. As he faces his death, he cries out “Seven-O!” In being
with his thirty-mile girl, Sixo left a legacy despite his owners. Despite all,
a part of him still would escape. He has his epiphany on death’s doorstep, and
in his joy, he proclaims his triumph over the white men who had bound him and
was preparing to burn him alive. He leaves proof in the world that he was a
man, and the white men lost in failing to stop him from doing so (267). Women,
too, are used and use sex themselves to a greater purpose.
First, the
abuse by masters. Ella, Sethe, and Baby Suggs, and Sethe’s mother all suffered
sexual abuse at the hands of owners. Ella was kept in a locked room and used by
a father and son, her captivity so horrible that she refers to them as “the
lowest yet,” even in the face of all the rest of the world’s atrocities (301).
Sethe was raped, abused, and beaten just before her escape from Sweet Home (19). Baby Suggs and Sethe’s mother both seem
to have been used to breed more slaves for their owners, judging from Sethe’s
memories of their stories. We know that they each had many children and only
seemed to be able to make memories with one respectively. Both, it seems, were
subjected to enforced breeding (165). According to Wyatt, the practice of
forced breeding was common during the days in which America allowed slavery. It
was further encouraged by laws enacted after the Revolution to ban the import
of slaves from Africa, thus creating a culture in which breeding was necessary
in order to maintain profit on plantations (National Humanities Center). Furthermore, the act of
rape, the enforcing of breeding, also served as a psychological weapon against
the victims. Being treated as an animal even when engaging in the most intimate
of activities further bound the enslaved of the time (Davis).
Conversely,
women in Beloved also used sex to
their advantage. Beloved seduces Paul D for the purpose of distracting him from
Sethe and driving him out of the house (137). Sethe pays for Beloved’s
headstone by giving the engraver “ten minutes” between her legs (5).
If we take
into account all the mentions of sex within Beloved
and account for their motivations, circumstances, and benefitting parties, it
is impossible to claim that they were anything close to simple. Someone always
benefitted above the general pleasure/intimacy/romance dynamic. Someone always
lost.
That’s my
line of thought just now, anyway. I’m still sticky-noting and looking for the
strongest evidence, while pulling together historical accounts about sexual
abuse in slavery. What do y’all think? Any suggestions to improve the quality
of my argument? I’m having a little trouble focusing my thesis into something
amazing. Hoping the discussion will help me pin it down just right.
Works Cited:
Davis, Adrienne D. "Slavery and the Roots of Sexual Harassment." Diss. Ed. Catherine MacKinnon and Reva Siegel. Yale University, n.d. Slavery and the Roots of Sexual Harassment. Yale University Press. Web. 17 Nov. 2012. <http://www.law.berkeley.edu/faculty/abramsk/Davis_UNCCH/davis.v4.title.pdf>.
Morrison, Toni. Beloved: A Novel. New York: Vintage International, 2004. Print.
National Humanities Center, comp. "On Slaveholders' Sexual Abuse of Slaves." The Making of African American Identity: 1500-1865 1 (n.d.): n. pag. Web. 17 Nov. 2012. <http://nationalhumanitiescenter.org/pds/maai/enslavement/text6/masterslavesexualabuse.pdf>.
Wyatt, Gail Elizabeth. "The Sociocultural Context of African American and White American Women's Rape." Journal of Social Issues 48.1 (1992): 77-91. Print.
Serena,
ReplyDeleteI think your paper and your research so far is phenomenal. I love reading your work, and I believe it benefits us all because we can learn something new. I agree with your question when you asked about your thesis. It is there in the first paragraph, but if you could revise it to say something like, "In Beloved, sex is an important theme to most of the characters; however, it is shown in different ways, such as etc.". Something on those lines might help yourself in showing you where you should go with your paper.
Who's Wyatt, the person you source? It's important to provide a brief (very brief) introduction of that person.
I believe that you are on the right track, Serena. Keep up the awesome writing. Your topic is extremely interesting and is shown a lot in Beloved.
-David E.
Your argument is definitely intriguing and gives the reader something to stew over. Personally speaking, I was glued from the first paragraph. You do a really awesome job of keeping up the "suspense" without sounding forced or corny. You essentially state your "so what" in the title of your post (I think). I may suggest that you more blatantly state that in the actual paper. But I think that will be pretty simple since you've got a very good argument going.
ReplyDeleteOh, and thank you so much for clarifying the part about the engraver. . .I was really confused up to now what actually was going on with all the references to "between Sethe's legs". But now I totally get it and it is a really good example to support your argument, by the way.
Something that might be interesting to add would be all of the references Paul D makes to Sethe about having not 4 legs but 2. At the end of the fourth paragraph you cite Davis as saying that slaves were treated like animals on every possible level. So it might be supportive to make reference to the book's analogous issues.
Keep up the good work, girly!!
Thanks for the input, guys. I especially liked what you said, Jordan about my title. I think that's where I want to go as far as an argument.
ReplyDeleteHere's what I'm thinking: Set up in which I clearly compare our idea of sex and its purpose to that of Morrison's use, then I'll make my claim (sex ≠love) bit.
I also liked your input about the 4 legs vs 2 legs.
David, I definitely agree with you about needing to tweak my claim. I think I'll go in the direction above to make it as strong as possible. Since Morrison's use of sex is so drastically different from what we as an audience might expect, I think that route will be the best for me to take.
I think that is partly why the sex in the story is so blunt to the reader. It is so different from how we consider it. I also think that it is sad that the characters are almost confused of how it is supposed to be treated (at least compared to how we consider it today). More of a sort of control than something you are technically supposed to share with someone you love. Hence, in the story, sex definitely does not mean romance in the least.
ReplyDeleteIt is such a great argument and would I appreciate if you may try to help me shape my blog post into more of an argument because you are really good at it!
I agree with Jordan on the four legs versus two legs standpoint and how it would be awesome to include that with your research from Davis. This could greatly intrigue your reader in truly understanding how sex does not mean romance, exactly, but it can also mean other things. Another thing you can look at with regards to love and romance is the name Beloved. The name "Beloved" is even mentioned in the Bible a few times with regards to love. I think that can be an interesting thing to bring up.
ReplyDeleteKeep up the great work, Serena. Just make sure you have a wide perspective going when it comes to love, sex, and romance. Sex can be shown in many different ways.
-David E.
I agree with David that perhaps you need to combine your thesis statement to make it a little clearer. But to go on about the 4 legs not 2 topic (and sort of throwing some biology in there) as you said many people think of sex to be “easy to shut your eyes to”. It is a “savage” act that we humans do instinctively, like all mammals, to reproduce the species (and a side note: I know many of you know this but we are animals so what does it mean to “be treated like an animal”?). However what makes us different from other animals, of what we have thought so far, is our ability to love and we use the intimacy of sex to show that. However, as you show in the book, they seem to use sex freely just as it is as taken. However when it comes to love there is a struggle. For example although paul D finally was able to have sex with Sethe is happened so fast and when they were done paul D was actually disappointed. In addition when sixo dies his only true accomplishment in life is leaving his DNA behind, just like any other animal’s goal. So perhaps you can argue that not only are they treated like “savage beasts” but they themselves seem to believe they are. What do you think too far from what you were trying to say?
ReplyDelete-Aryn
This topic is fabulous! You really thought way outside the box and I love that!
ReplyDeleteI really like the route you take when introducing the Master's. I have written quite a few papers on slavery in my time, and sex is a big deal, and you're right. It's not always romance. I love how Aryn says, "they use sex freely, just as taken". There is a lot of great research in regards to breeding and rape when it comes to revealed historical expression.
I think the fact that you say "occasional love and tenderness" truly sheds light on the situation. An awesome "What if?" If you can't love yourself, how can you love someone else. They are taught to work, but instinct often times poses itself with the love for their children and the caring for one another (Sethe and Paul D) after sexual relations.
I really think everyone has agreed on animalistic attributes when it comes to sex. Biologically, men have the desire to reproduce (there is a lot of research to be done there), as well as prostitution. How do their mental states affect the way they view love, the way the view sex? I think the arguments would be much stronger if you directly stated what you think sex does for each of them.
Also, your evidence is great, but I also know how great you are at writing. Your input is wanted and definitely needed. Less sources, More Serena! Good luck, this is awesome!