In a “Woman Hollering Creek”,
Cisneros defines not only the personal experiences that many Mexican- American women
endure, but also descriptively defining her personal experiences through a developed
character named Cleofilas. Cisneros illustrates the Mexican-American woman’s
traditions, including her gender role and the repression she faces as a female,
and how tending to these traditions can allow the infliction of abuse. Through this story, it is established that there is far more than
one Cleofilas, in this country, who demonstrates the bravery of an American
women, while maintaining the origins of her Mexican culture. Cisneros
ultimately defines a theme of literary awareness: how emotional abuse can
result in physical abuse, and in what ways silence can be uncovered through a
woman’s strength. Strength to make an independent discovery she, as a woman, is
capable of building her own life on her own foundation.
Gender
Roles are clearly defined within the Mexican culture. To women, family is consistently
defined as the concern and obligation of the female. Through research it is predominantly
found that the traditional Mexican woman is “often passive, allowing their husband to make decisions for [her].
Wives are expected to care for the children, keep the house clean, cook all the
meals, and do all the other domestic chores necessary in a family” (Culture Issues for Mexican Women). Quite obviously, these labels
are cultural, and Cisneros defines how commonly understood this idea is within
the first few pages of her story. In the very beginning, Cleofilas tells us
about her wedding arrangements and the way in which they will occur; she
predictably explains the idea that “Juan Pedro wants to get married without a
long engagement since he can’t take off too much time from work” (364). Her
statement defines the common knowledge that the man is ultimately in control.
Although this is supposed to be “her day”, Juan Pedro is the determining factor
in the ways in which not only their wedding, but many instances in their
married life will pan out.
Cleofilas
role is also defined in her tendency to submit to Juan Pedro’s hurtful words
and emotional ill treatment. Cleofilas clarifies how truly insensitive he is
when she tells us what he says to her when she first begins to doubt their
relationship, “if [you] had any brains in [your] head [you’d] realize that
[I’ve] been up for before the rooster… just leave me in peace, woman”. There
are various instances where Juan Pedro inflicts pain on Cleofilas, by making her
feel that she has nothing without him. In the same sentence, he makes it clear
to her that he is the one who puts “food in her belly” and a “roof over her
head” (367). Because he is the man, sole form of income, and culturally
identified as the strength, he illuminates the stereotypical Mexican gender
roles. Cleofila’s is a housewife, “who went on washing dishes”(369).
She
stays, and although she has “A doubt. Slender as a hair” (367), she does not
uncover her experience with abuse: not only emotional, but also
physically. Her physical abuse is
defined in a raw manner, almost causing the reader to long for her to escape.
She stays, and it is also a cultural stigma that ties her down. Women often feel that they must keep the
family together at all costs. Staying together as a family is their
priority. Women may make excuses to their kids for their father's
violence, trying to save the kids' respect for their father, so the family will
run smoothly (Avalos). Although, her son Juan Pedrito was not quite old enough
to understand, there are various instances where Cleofilas creates excuses.
I have a thesis, but I think once I started writing I began
to lose focus. I am very interested in discussing how “Woman Hollering Creek”
represents abuse, but I also want to express it through terms of the Mexican
Culture (and how Sandra Cisneros used this as an expression to awareness for
her culture, and how she personally rose above it). I would love any advice, I
know the thesis needs work.
Sarafin, Jennifer. Domestic Violence Among Three
Immigrant Communities in Rice County: Cambodian, Mexican, and Somali. St. Olaf
College, 2003. Web. 15 Nov. 2012.
Cisneros,
Sandra. “Woman Hollering Creek.” A Pocket Anthology”. Ed. Michael Meyer.
8th ed. New York: Bedford, 2008. 95-101. Print.
It is very refreshing to read something that is in reference to a story we have read earlier in the semester. So, thank you for a breath of fresh air! You are doing a really good job so far and I think you have a good platform for your final draft.
ReplyDeleteIt is the first draft that always frustrates me also, it's like I plan where to go next, and then I find myself veering off. I definitely understand your dilemma. When you find yourself doing that, just try remind yourself what your issue question is, and how what you are writing about advances that argument (at least that's what I do). That sort of leads me into what I want to say next. Although what you are writing about is without a doubt very interesting, it seems as if you are informing the reader rather than arguing an idea. I have major issues with this myself. . . . so I don't know how helpful I can really be. But maybe try to introduce some argumentative elements into your thesis statement to set the stage and keep you on the right track. This will probably help you not to veer off so bad, also.
What might be really interesting to do is look up Sandra Cisneros's biography. It would be neat to see how many factors of her real life play into "Woman Hollering Creek". Based on your findings, you may find a really great argument there.
Hope this helps, and keep up the good work!!
I love the details you gave (future evidence, I'm sure) and I get the feeling that you have a gist of an argument, but that you're not quite sure what the actual phrasing should be. You give us a lot about Cleofilas's experience and her ordeal, but you don't come out and tell us how it's important.
ReplyDeleteI think maybe it would help if you ask a couple of questions relating to the information you wrote down and obviously found interesting. Why does Cleofilas wait so long to leave? Why is "Woman Hollaring Creek" as a name important? Why does no one help her until the end? I think, if you took the answer to any question you might ask, you would have a really awesome argument, to which you already have some great supportive evidence.
Hope that helps. It's what I try to do when I'm having trouble.
Veronica,
ReplyDeleteIt's a good start. You have great textual evidence to support your claims, but since you have not developed a clear and stable thesis, it's hard to tell what you are trying to say. Once you develop that thesis, things will come to you much easier and faster, and you will have a clear understanding of where you want to go with your paper.
I agree with Jordan in the fact that you should look into Sandra Cisneros' biography. That would help you so much, especially with the fact that the creek is actually a real landmark.
I also believe that the questions Serena asks are ones you need to answer for yourself and think about including them in your paper. You should work on your "so what" as your talking about each piece of text. This work has a deep meaning to it, and you should really try and uncover it.
Good luck. Best wishes.
-David E.
I too had a lot of trouble writing this first draft. Ask yourself what you're trying to answer by writing this paper? I think that may help (hopefully).
ReplyDeleteAnd I think that you can connect both the abuse and the mexican culture. As unfortunate as it is, and I've seen this in members of my own family, abuse like it is displayed in this story happen ALL the time in homes all over Mexico. I don't remember the time period of this story, but it's not recent for sure--Women at that time couldn't really escape or leave their husbands for the reasons that you stated above AND because people wouldn't really help women in those situations. They would just stay quiet because they're so used to it. This isn't something that you'll find in books about Mexican history necessarily, but you know what I mean?
You have a really good thing here, good luck!!
Yes thank you for writing about something different other than Beloved or Dracula (although I can’t really talk since I wrote about Dracula myself). But perhaps not only look into Sandra Cisneros' biography but also look into the legend of “Women Hollering Creek” in Mexican culture. But I think you are on the right track of looking into the culture of women in Mexico and perhaps compare it to our culture here? But good luck I am sure you will do great!
ReplyDelete-Aryn
I think we all know how you feel in regards to writing a first draft. I think you did a great job and all the different ideas you have helps later on when trying to find sources and other examples from the story. Your thesis should be about something that you not only feel strongly about writing, but also something that has a good amount of information to provide support in your paper. Good luck on your paper!
ReplyDelete