Sunday, September 2, 2012

Watching the World Spin

Me (front and center) and my sister. Enjoying one of
those moments I mentioned back when I had long hair.
Life is a funny thing. You wake up one day, sure of your surroundings, and then you go to bed that night and discover that even though your bed smells the same and feels the same, you're settling into a whole new world. 

That's probably the thing I love most about "being." 

Even though most of my days would be considered mundane by most, watching the world as it spins - enjoying the little minute-to-minute deviances and observing the elements composing our existence - has always fascinated me. 

The little sparks of specialness (birthdays, moves, and overseas trips) just make life all the more interesting to me. 

So, I'm a voyeur of all and a connoisseur of detail. That translates into several things. I love books. Give me a record of human interaction (imagined or not), and I'll give you witness of a person so enthralled that she might not reemerge from the pages for a day or two straight. My enjoyment of minutia also made me an admirer of music and art. I sometimes dabble in the latter. 

This appreciation probably comes from my upbringing. Moving from state to state and sometimes out of the country instilled in me an easy acceptance of the fleetingness of things and also the value of simple pleasures and ideas. 

Kindness. Acceptance. Curiosity. Honesty. I thrive on and strive towards these concepts.

I chose Texas Tech because the people here seemed to understand the essence of those words better than the other schools I had considered. 

Now, I'm thoroughly engrossed in the experience of being a Junior. My experience has been one of constant discovery since I was accepted in the College of Media and Communication. My degree plan says "Electronic Media and Communication" at the top, but I'm not quite sure where that's going yet, if I'm honest.

The beauty of "Electronic Media and Communication" is that the vagueness of the term is only exceeded by the breadth of opportunity within the field. 

Anyway, I'm happy to be here and I'm looking forward to a great semester with all you fabulous people. I'm sure that's all you really wanted to know. 

6 comments:

  1. Serena,

    Dang, I love your writing. I'm surprised your sticking with your major and not going onto something that involves intensive writing. What you "strive" for seems to be a great reason to live life to the fullest, and of course, the people and the school here in Lubbock are very accepting. I look forward to seeing more and more of your great writing skills.

    David

    ReplyDelete
  2. Serena,

    Wow! My first thought was, "If she wrote a book, I would totally read it!". I can tell that you are very talented in that aspect, so I just wanted to compliment you on that! I love when you say "birthday, moves, and overseas trips" I think that is a great way to describe the experiences that are of interest to you! I have never been overseas, but it has always been a dream of mine! I look forward to working with you this semester!

    Veronica

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hmmm....my first question is: how long did it take you to write that? Something tells me not very, but it sounds as if it took you hours!! Are you sure you don't want to be an English major? It is the small things in life that make it worth living; opening a new bottle of shampoo or taking a long bike ride. It sounds dumb, but I have never been out of the continental United States....sounds like that is one of your fancies. Maybe I should try it out sometime. :) I will be excited to see more of your writing as the semester goes on! Good luck!

    Jordan Inge

    ReplyDelete
  4. Geeze you're deep. I love your outlook on life. If only everyone in the world had as much optimisms as you, the world would definitely be a better place. I look forward to reading the rest of your post. I am sure they are going to invoke some intense thought!

    Aryn Banovic

    P.S. I hope there are no more elevator accidents in your near future.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Whenever I tell people I'm Communication Design they automatically assume I'm MassComm lol. I think I know what you mean about the vagueness of your degree. I'm basically studying graphic design and freedom that's allowed there is nice, especially when working in any field of art, but I also find it very daunting. I don't know, maybe we'll figure it out before graduation.
    But anyway, it was great meeting you today and I can't wait to have discussions with you this semester!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Omigosh I missed commenting on the biographies, and I can tell I missed out. Thanks for the compliments everybody.

    I really do have a passion for writing as well as art. The reason I chose my degree is because I can do both and still make a good living. It helps that a lot of the job opportunities give you the option to work from home, once you've got some experience under your belt. I think that outcome would give me the means to write without worrying about where my next meal comes from.


    Y'all are too kind. I look forward to reading more of what you've written, too. I've enjoyed everything I've seen thus far.

    ReplyDelete