Friday, September 28, 2012

Phase 1: Prompt 3: Reservation Realism


Phase 1: Prompt 3: Reservation Realism

By analyzing what happens in the chapters “A Drug Called Tradition” and “Indian Education” compared to real life characteristics of drug use and Native American boarding schools from the mid-1900s, one could see how realistic or unrealistic Sherman Alexie’s portrayals really are.
First, before one analyzes the similarities and differences between real life characteristics for Native Americans and the characteristics shown in selected chapters in Alexie’s novel, one must understand the definition of “reservation realism”.
Reservation realism can be defined as the acceptance of how things really are on a reservation, which is a tract of public land set aside for an Indian tribe, such as the Spokane Indians in Washington.
In the chapter “A Drug Called Tradition”, Victor obtains “magic mushrooms”, and he decides to share these “magic mushrooms” with Thomas Builds-the-Fire and Junior Polatkin. Victor states to Thomas, “We’re going out to Benjamin Lake to do this new drug I got. It’ll be very fucking Indian. Spiritual shit, you know?” (Alexie, 14). In fact, it was “very fuking Indian” and some “spiritual shit” because soon after they take the drug, Thomas “looked around the world” as he sees Victor “stealing a horse and...riding by moonlight”, which stealing horses was considered an honorable thing to the boys. This drug produced different hallucinations for every boy. It caused them to dance and sing.
This “drug use” in Indian cultures and Native American cultures date back to the time of the Amerindians, such as the Aztecs, and it exists in multiple cultures, in Asia and Africa, as a “tradition”. According to Davis Wade, the author of the article “Hallucinogenic Plants and Their Use in Traditional Societies- An Overview”, although it is not the Spokane Indians as talked about in “The Lone Ranger and Tonto Fistfight in Heaven”, “the Mazatec of Oaxaca discovered amongst a mushroom flora that contained many deadly species as many as 10 that were hallucinogenic...producing powerful synergistic effects - a biochemical version of the whole being greater than the sum of its parts” (Wade). At the end of his article,  Wade contributes, “Moreover the experience is explicitly sought for positive ends. It is not a means of escaping from an uncertain existence; rather it is perceived as a means of contributing to the welfare of all one's people” (Wade). This drug use sought as a tradition serves a purpose in bringing out the individual’s importance to “the welfare of all one’s people”. Thomas Builds-the-Fire’s hallucinogenic experience clearly represents the Indian tradition of a drug use, and the reservation realism of the drug is pretty accurate.
In the chapter titled “Indian Education”, Alexie depicts the grades separately through different stories, including themes with fighting, drinking, getting in trouble, freedom, love, and basketball. Each grade has a story of it’s own. For Victor, known as “Junior Falls Down” or “Cries-Like-a-White-Boy” in the first grade, education was like being “buried in the snow”, the snow representing White American assimilation as he wears “U.S. Government glasses” (Alexie, 171-172). At times, he “stood alone in the corner” (174) while being deprived of his “freedom of expression”. The sad part was that the “bright students...don’t know what comes next...as they look back towards tradition” (179-180). Victor was tormented by this assimilation, and every “indian, indian, indian” (173) was put through these circumstances. The overall theme of this education comes from Victor’s question when he asks, “Oh, do you remember those sweet, almost innocent choices that the Indian boys were forced to make?” (175) (Italics added). The “forced to make” expression refers to the assimilation and pain that Victor went through as a student.
According to an article written by the University of Minnesota titled “Brief History of American Indian Education”, during the mid-1900s, “The American Indian boarding school, as an institution of assimilation, was designed to suppress the culture, language, and spirituality of American Indian nations throughout the United States” (“Expanding the Circle Resources”). Assimilation means the act of bringing one group into conformity of another group’s ideas, beliefs, and attitudes, by means of force and adaptation. Also, stated in the article, “from the age of 5 through 18, American Indian children were removed from their families, for month or years at a time, and placed in the boarding school where a harsh indoctrination occurred”, and they were not banned from their spiritual practices and the use of their own language. This “harsh indoctrination” affected many students, proven by the alarming statistic that “ the statewide high school graduation rate for American Indians was 42.6% compared with 82.8% for Caucasian students” in Minnesota, a state that Indians were prominent like in Spokane, Washington. This assimilation affected the students, and without regards to their family problems, many students’ beliefs of freedom were “intercepted and confiscated” (Alexie, 173), like Victor.
Reservation realism is depicted in this novel with a few slight adjustments. Although different drugs were used and attitudes of the students were not all the same as Victor’s, the ideas and concepts still get to the reader, and it is shown in multiple chapters, such as “A Drug Called Tradition” and “Indian Education”.

Works Cited

"Brief History of American Indian Education." Expanding the Circle Resources. University of

Minnesota, 25/09/2012. Web. 28 Sep 2012. <http://etc.umn.edu/resources/briefhistory.htm>.

Wade, Davis. "Hallucinogenic Plants and Their Use in Traditional Societies - An Overview." Cultural

Survival. Cultural Survival, 19/02/2010. Web. 28 Sep 2012.

7 comments:

  1. When I think of Reservation Realism, I think of the way Caucasian America perceives Native Americans. Are these perceptions just stereotypes that have no justification? That is the question you have to ask yourself, that every American has to ask him/herself. "Are my ideals well supported?" "Am I passing judgement based on assumption with no proof?" David, you point out some very convicting places where Alexie does use some of these stereotypes, but then find supporting evidence that 90 percent of it is true.

    In the introduction, Alexie is explicit in saying that he is writing some from biography, but much of his stories are fictitious. However, he ought to know better than anyone how Reservation life goes, he was there after all. He says on page xix, "When I write about the destructive effects of alcohol on Indians, I am NOT writing out of a literary stance or a colonized mind's need to reinforce stereotypes. I am writing from autobiography." Basically, he may be spicing things up, but he is an Indian. Blood is thicker than water. He can say these things (he has the right), but it isn't honorable when someone who has no clue says things that are unsubstantiated. . .if any of that makes sense.

    It is very ironic, at least to me, that our ancestors inflicted a whole world of pain and hurt onto this unsuspecting culture. Did they not help the Pilgrims in finding their way in the new land? They helped us survive for Pete's sake! And we thanked them by taking what was rightfully theirs and shoving them onto useless land. Were we surprised that this had negative effects on their psychological condition? It seems so. David, you say that boarding schools were created to "alleviate" their issues. We've taken their land, oh we have another idea! Lets take their religion and language, too. Maybe that will fix things. Sounds delusional to me. Sorry for the random rant, y'all.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lots of troubling thoughts, there, David. I love your statistic. Jordan, I liked your observations too.

    Alexie's right when he says he's writing about autobiography. I've got friends who grew up on reservations, and from what they've told me, it hasn't changed very much.

    When I look at the stories in Alexie's book, I see a lot of things. This "reservation realism," as I perceived it, was a refusal to romanticize the condition of things. Which, I think, is what a lot of us would expect when reading a publication about a writer's culture.

    Jordan, you're completely right when you say the Indians have gotten the short end of the stick. To be fair, there's been a lot of violence, short-changing, and oppression on all sides. I completely agree that, as the ruling society, the United States Government of the 1800's definitely should have been kinder, especially because it considered itself a "Christian" nation at the time.

    David, you talk about the choices kids on the rez are forced to make. If I might tie in a question related to our current study, Brave New World: how many of the choices Indian children are "forced to make" come from the conditioning on the reservations? How much of it comes from "White" culture? How much of it comes from "Indian" culture? "Indian" tradition?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Addendum: US Government SINCE the 1800's, since obviously the problems haven't been fixed.

    ReplyDelete
  4. David, I like your post. I agree with you on your definition of "reservation realism". Throughout the stories, many things they talk about don't seem to make the reservation seem like a great place to live, but rather they tell it how it is. The Native Americans on the reservation have accepted their life there and how it is not always a great life. However, I do not see how your example of drug use on the reservation has anything to do with reservation realism. When Victor and Thomas Builds-the-Fire do the "magic mushrooms" they begin to see hallucinations about Indian culture and people. I feel like their hallucinations signify how they wish that's how things were on the reservation. They dream of warriors and stealing horses, but that is not how things are on the current reservation.

    Serena, I really like your comparison to Brave New World. To answer your question, I do believe that many of the choices Indians make are just the result of their conditioning on the reservation throughout their lives. I think their parents influenced many of the decisions they make and the "white" culture really did not effect many choices. I think that many Native Americans were taught that white people are bad and many of the choices they make are not influenced by the white people, but rather are made in spite of the white people.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Serena, I love how you pose questions concerning. Do they have the choice to play basketball and get out? Are they forced to dabble in alcoholism due to genetic predisposition? Our the Indians forced to feel oppressed and judged by the white population? I feel that they want to get out, but is staying there all they know.

    When it comes to Reservation Realsim, I find it interesting that David states "every boy had a different experience" when it came to the drugs. Could this be symbolism that, although they are somewhat stuck in stagnant lifestyle? They all long for individuality.


    Realism" to me, is not hiding from what is true. Sherman Alexie is a great writer in this aspect. He is raw. He is descriptive. He throws the stereotypes out there, and expects recognition rather than judgement. I do not think he wants to fall into the trap of believing these stereotypes, but rather be aware of them and understand why they occur and where they originated.

    I think the discussion we had today in class truly relates to this story, not only the Brave New World.
    1. Suspend Judgement
    2. Gather Data
    3. Dialectical Thinking
    4. Come to an Educated Conclusion
    5. Repeat

    I think David's Statements, such as
    ----“from the age of 5 through 18, American Indian children were removed from their families, for month or years at a time, and placed in the boarding school where a harsh indoctrination occurred”, and they were not banned from their spiritual practices and the use of their own language. This “harsh indoctrination” affected many students, proven by the alarming statistic that “ the statewide high school graduation rate for American Indians was 42.6% compared with 82.8% for Caucasian students”

    We could use this skeptical way of thinking in much more than writing, but just within our thoughts. Let's suspend judgement. Indians are no less or more intelligent than a white person.

    2. Why would their graduation rate be so extremely different? What causes this to happen. Is it the parenting, doctrine, alcohol, or stigmas?

    3. It could be that they are just less educated than a white child would be in school, or it could be far more than that. Education could lack, or the environmental effects could cause this to occur.

    4. I personally think it is the environmental factors such as parenting, doctrine, alcohol abuse, and stigmas that cause a lower graduation rate.

    5. If I repeat the system, Maybe that isn't it at all. Maybe is the fact that the Indians on the reservation never have the ability to escape. Not allowing them to chase their dreams.


    I think through our blogs we do this all the time. We cause each other to think dialectically. Serena may have one view or I may have another, but we gain the mutual respect to hear one another and express ourselves freely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey guys great posts! I feel like we always go back to the question of why don't they just leave if there are such hard ships on the reservation such as drug abuse, lack of education,and alcohol? But I feel like if we really want to be "skeptics", then why don't we not pass judgement on them at all? who is to say that doing drugs is wrong? western do society and as David mentions drug use has been apart of their spiritual culture for years before us. Who is to say that they need a westernized education? Did Indians have schools before the "whites" came to America? If they had the desire to learn don't you think they would persue it if they wanted to? And can we as college students really pass judgement on the alcohol situation? Isnt there a saying that you're not an alcoholic until you graduate? So pretty much what I am saying is the reason maybe we shouldn't be telling them what is right and wrong. Are we still trying to "civilize" them?

    Aryn

    ReplyDelete