Cultures change. Sometimes they change slowly in response to
warming temperatures, differences in food sources, or new migration patterns.
Sometimes they change swiftly in response to colonialism, famine, migration, or
war. But at some point a culture ceases to be a culture and becomes an
ethnicity. Many people are familiar with the stories of the white man
colonizing American, striping the Native Americans of their land, and forcing
them onto infertile reservations in the hopes of turning them into a typical “white
man” rural farmer (and remember that many Native American cultures involved
hunting a gathering for food). Therefore it is not difficult to deduce that
this change in culture didn’t make life on the reservations easy. The median income on some reservations today
is as low as $10,000 a year, and reservations are also being described as “violent,
drug-infested, and criminal” (Treuer) as a result of this poverty. But there are roughly 310 Indian Reservations
in the United States, and 564 federally recognized tribes in the United States;
so where are all the Indians? There is no hiding the fact that the Native
American culture is “dying out”. Although there is said to be over 2 million Native
Americans alive today (verses the only 200,000 in 2000), not every Indian lives
on a reservation. Before the Europeans came
to American, there was said to be over 300 Native American Languages. Today
there is only about 150, and of those only 20 are thought to their children. The
rest are left to the elders to preserve and the average life expectancy of Indian
men on Indian reservations is about 64 (Treuer). At 65 many “white people” just
start to retire. In the short story “the approximate size of my favorite humor,
the main character’s wife Norma states that “’Every one of our elders who dies
takes a piece of our past away,’ she said. ‘And that hurts more because I don’t
know how much of a future we have.’” (Alexie, 167). Throughout this short story
there is a constant theme of using a sarcastic tone and humor to hide pain. The
main character James Many horses is dying from cancer, however the only way he
can deal with his pain is through jokes and sarcasm, eventually causing Norma
to leave.“Still, you have to realize that laughter saved Norma and me from
pain. Humor was an antiseptic that cleaned the deepest of personal wounds.” (164).
In reading this story I feel like the dying of James Many Horses is somewhat
symbolic of the “dying out” of the Native American culture. Norma was known as
a preserver of the Native American culture. She was known to make the best fry
bread around and whenever an elder would die she would “weep violently”
(Alexie, 167). She was known as a
warrior. So when James Many Horse jokes about dying I think it’s signifies how
Native Americans today are hiding their pain with alcohol and “loving to hate
their fathers”. Norma’s leaving represented the departure of Native American
Culture, and when Norma returns she claims it is “’…because making fry bread and
helping people die are the last two things Indians are good at.’”(170).
Nonetheless, with this final gesture from Norma who finally gives in with the
jokes of death and the children that would never be, I feel as though not only
is she accepting the death of her husband but also the death of her culture.
-Aryn Banovic
Reference:
Treuer,
David. Rez Life: An Indian's Journey through Reservation Life. New York:
Atlantic Monthly, 2012. Print.
Aryn,
ReplyDeleteI liked your post. I think you did a great job of referring back to the book and using historical statistics to prove your point. James Many Horses and Norma are two characters that symbolize the Indian culture in two different ways, but both are noticed by the type of humor they use. Norma uses more of a sarcastic tone when talking about her "fry bread", whereas James Many Horses uses a tone to overcome his illness, like you stated. You did not really state the types of humor or figurative language that Alexie uses to depict the humor. However, you did use textual evidence and historical evidence to prove your point. Good post.
-David
This comment has been removed by the author.
ReplyDeleteAryn, great post. Your textual evidence is very consistent and definitely helps further explain your topic.
ReplyDeleteI wanted to point out two quotes that you used in your writing, and see if we could discuss them further.You said when Norma leaves it is somewhat symbolism of the culture dying. If I am interpreting that correctly?
-----The first one, "Norma was known as a preserver of the Native American culture. She was known to make the best fry bread around and whenever an elder would die she would “weep violently” (Alexie, 167)"
----And the second one, “’…because making fry bread and helping people die are the last two things Indians are good at.’”(170)"
These two quotes obviously correlate, and I think there is a deeper meaning within those two quotes. She is known as the "preserver" of the Native American Culture, and I love that you use these quotes, because later on page 170, "making fry bread and helping people die are the last two things Indians are good at. To me, this is illustrating that Norma is accepting that she may be the end of her culture. So I must agree with you on that.
They call Norma a warrior, and she can make the best fry bread on the reservation.
I think there is more meaning to this.
Fun Fact: In tribes across the United States, fry bread was said to come about from resources that were provided by the American Government. Being that Norma is a warrior, it is obvious that she would be the best at developing things from resources, like the fry bread. I mean did her ancestors not make tools with the resources they had, and become well recognized?
Fry bread is a tradition that stems from deep historical roots. I found an article talking about the significance of fry bread within the Native American culture, although it does not specifically refer to the Spokane Reservation, it is very common in Native American history. Like I said, fry bread was made from the scarce resources that were provided by the American government when Indians were held in captivity after a war fought over land boundaries.
Norma is often correlated with fry bread, fry bread is somewhat of a sacred tradition. Do you think Alexie considered this? Any thoughts?
Apologies for my rant on fry bread, I know the post is definitely more geared toward the themes of humor and sarcasm. I was just curious if there was a deeper meaning between Norma and the fry bread, and I thought I would share!
Well Fry Bread also seems to be a sort of "poor mans" food, and I think that it is significant that even a warrior still must resort to fry bread as one of their main food sources; perhaps implying like you said that they are still at war and in captivity.
DeleteAryn,
DeleteThis "poor mans" food refers to what is in it and also what it is characterized by, which is clearly noted by Serena. The fry bread only consists of baking powder, salt, water, and flour. This accumulates to a total of about $6-$7 for a serving of 1-2 people. I like what you said about how "even a warrior still must resort to fry bread". I believe that represents a tradition or just culture backfiring on the person. The warrior would not necessarily eat it as a means of being in war or captivity, but by consuming the product, it represents the warrior's traditional ways of being a leader and, at the same time, a follower.
-David
This comment has been removed by the author.
DeleteI really love what you said there David, "by consuming the product it represents a warrior's traditional ways of being a leader, and the same time a follower." I want to further this, if you do not mind, cause I think we are on the same wave length.
DeleteFollower: In this case may be a synonym for somewhat controlled. In the Fry Bread instance, historically speaking, the whites ability to control the Native Americans. They only supply them with these somewhat demeaning products.
Leader: They created this fry bread. It fed many, it saved lives. They had the audacity to stand up and almost be engineers. They had not experienced baking, being hunters and gatherers. They proved themselves.
I love that the Fry Bread got people thinking! I kept reading the term "fry bread" and because of my love for food, I had to find out what I was. What I found was extremely surprising. Who would ever known?
This makes me wonder. Literature has an amazing way of causing us to wonder. Do y'all think when referring to "fry bread" within his writing, he was thinking about all of the symbolism? Or would he read this blog right now and think we were really stretching it? I guess that's the beauty of it. Unless we had the opportunity to know him and ask him for ourselves. I guess, We will just have to keep dialectally thinking!
I also wanted to talk about what Serena is saying. I think it is awesome. Fry bread is the provider, yet the killer. I almost feel as if this illustrates a sick cycle. The moment an Indian feels as though they can provide for themselves, things such as alcohol and lack of opportunity hold them back. It is such symbolism, as Serena says. Sherman Alexie may be trying to say, "fry bread" is such a great thing that Indians can claim as their own, but there is still something negative to find within their creation. I just keep hearing the words "They can't win". Whether it be stereotypes or stigmas, it's like they cannot get away from them. So why not embrace them and bring them to life? Rather than allow them to be the demise of you?
And below, Jordan asks if it is the lack of pride or the wrong kind of pride. That's a tough one. I could definitely see how it could be the wrong kind of pride. Why do something just to prove someone else wrong, rather than do it for your own well-being? We seem to do that a lot, and that is definitely the wrong way to go about finding pride. Lack of pride could be due to the way they are raised. Cycle is such a great work, I think. Alcoholism can truly tear families apart. Like, we read in Papa's Waltz. I guess alcoholism may have different meanings to everyone, but do you think the abuse of alcohol within the reservation could of somewhat led to a sense of lost hope. Families attend counseling sessions, rehabilitation attempts, and various other encounters in order to relieve the sting of alcoholism. Like I said, they're stuck. Do you think those options are ever an actual option for them?
I cannot help but feel sad about what is occurring on the reservation. But, there is only so much that can happen through feelings. There has to be initiative. Alexie illustrates that initiative. Do y'all know any other Native Americans that grew up on reservations, that can now be known as successful? I would love to see what they do. Surely far more than basketball.
Okay, apologies, this is going to be long. So long, in fact, that blogger told me I can't post it in its entirety in one post. So, hopefully that means double points (JK). But y'all got me to thinking.
ReplyDeleteAryn, I really loved what you said about Norma "accepting the death of her husband but also the death of her culture."
In response to both you and Miss Veronica, I'd also like to continue the discussion of fry bread. In Mrs. Grover's prompt, she also pulls out the following quote: "Sometimes it feels like our tribe is dying a piece of fry bread at a time" (199).
Fry bread, if you're not quite sure what fry bread is, here's a recipe from Smithsonian.com:
1 tablespoon baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/4 cups warm water
Extra flour for processing
(Yield: 8 to 12 small portions or 6 to 8 larger portions)
It's extremely simple to make and takes JUST flower, water, salt and oil. Some people choose to add powdered milk or real milk to make it taste richer and to make the dough a little thicker. Still, it's basically an unsweet, un-funnelled funnel cake.
It's really, REALLY not nutritious. According to the US department of agriculture, one piece of large paper-plate sized fry bread piece contains 700 calories and 25 grams of fat. From all that, you get zero protein, a crap-ton of carbs, and LOTS of lipids. Yeah, it'll keep you full, but it's nutritionally less valuable than a pint of ice cream.
I never really thought about this specific piece of Native American culture as extensively as y'all have started to, but I really think you're on to something. As has been mentioned before, fry bread was born out of necessity, following the "long walk" or the "Trail of Tears" when natives were forced onto reservations and given their first "commodity" foods (Smithsonian.com).
Since then, it's been argued over vehemently: is it good to perpetuate a tradition that is born from so much pain? Or, is it a tool to tie together the generations, carry on tradition, like Norma tries so hard to do?
I've started to think that Alexie thinks it's both: balm as well as poison. On numerous pages, throughout the stories (I can't give a specific page number right now because I've misplaced by book and I'm tired, but it's a lot of them) fry bread serves as something that fills hungry stomachs, no matter what. No, it's not the healthiest thing to eat, but hey, it'll keep you from starving.
At the same time, it's packed full of fat and carbs, which, many studies have concluded, may be the main cause for type 2 diabetes, which plagues up to and sometimes over half the adult population Indian reservations. Secola, a nutritionist on an Arizonan reservation, says, "frybread has killed more Indians than the federal government" (smithsonian.com).
I think this is a pretty awesome metaphor for the slow death of Native American culture. Without health, what is there? Yes, the number of people who are counted as "Native American" has risen in the past few decades, but I wonder how many of them are on the reservations, where the culture still perseveres? I know friends who got better chances at college because they were 1/16 Native American. They probably know about as much of Native American culture as we'd know about Martians.
I think I'm starting to see fry bread as a type of slow poison, in the end. Something that is assisting in the killing off of Native American cultures. With more and more individuals dying off without passing on the oral legacy, due to health problems and (no surprise) complications that arise from diabetes, it's no wonder that so many people, activists, nutritionists, and others, have fought for the demolition of the frybread tradition (smithsonian.com).
ReplyDeleteAs for the comparison to Norma, I could also see frybread as a metaphor for her. Something that's intended to help, but is ineffectual. Frybread was intended to feed the hungry, to right a wrong. Norma tries to bring awareness to the problem of cultural decay, but in the end, she's only one woman. I think part of the reason she's seen as a warrior is because there aren't many like her. Which is to say, not many to strengthen her effect on the battlefield. The warriors we admire the most, after all, are the ones who try hard against the odds, even though their chances of survival and winning are few. Think of the 300 Spartans.
I think part of the reason so many of our generation like that movie is that the 300 stand, knowing they're going to die. We admire them because they're the losers in the face of a battle too grand for them to conquer on their own. In being brave enough to do it anyway, they're winners in a sense. And besides, the army is allowed to come and stop the Persians eventually. The difference is, there isn't a legion waiting to be inspired by Norma and her super-hot hubby, plus a few councilmen. Everyone else has already accepted the loss. At least,
Aryn, I really appreciate all the textual evidence that you use to back up your ideas. It makes it much easier on the reader to digest what you are saying. And I really am enjoying the discussion on fry bread and its symbolism. You guys are pointing out some major aspects that definitely have some meaning. So, good job! However, I was intrigued by something else.
ReplyDeleteWhat was the most gripping to me was where Aryn quotes Treuer as saying that the languages of Native Americans have dwindled from 300, to 150, tp 20. This makes Norma's comment, "Every one of our elders who dies takes a piece of our past away" (Alexie, 167) more true. If a culture relies on its elderly members to preserve not only language, but also bits of tradition, the culture will surely wane along with its traditions, obviously. The quantitative numbers here just really summed up for me the fact that the number of actual Indians may be increasing, but there true identity is on the decline. In other words, there may be "Native Americans", but where are the true Indians? Is the fragility of their culture possibly due to the fact that they are letting it all go, because they no longer have any pride in their heritage?
Indians have given up, the unstable lifestyles and habits (as a result of their treatment) have inflicted their wounds. Although somewhat healed, there are still scars that remind the Indians of the past. Remind them of the mentality that there is nothing left to live for. This, if you ask me, is the reason for the fragility of the culture. And this is hinted at all throughout Alexie's work. He even admits it himself. He says on page xix that he is writing about stereotypical ideas, but it is the truth that alcoholism runs rampant on the reservations. And why do the Indians drink? Because of the inevitable hopelessness they are conditioned to believe is inescapable.
All of this being said, I think that Norma is the exact opposite of all of this. That is why she is considered a warrior; because she chooses to fight the losing battle (as Serena says). She still has pride in her heritage. She is clearly petrified that her culture is in a sense going extinct, but even though, as Aryn says, she is just one women she refuses to go down without a fight. And the few like her are the ones who keep the true "Indians" alive and preserving tradition. Are there enough like Norma? How much longer will those like her be able to do the work of many?
Jordan I agree with you that Norma is one of the few that chooses to fight a losing battle but I think it is sad that she accepts the loss as well. Well I guess she has no choice because no one else is fighting back because they are too busy drinking their lives away. I know someone like that currenty that is drinking their life away, to drink away whatever pain they have. But Norma's intoxication is her and her husband's humor, like Aryn mentioned, it covers up the pain not healing it, just like drinking. In my opinion, I think they make it a losing battle, just as Junior in the end of the book quit school and went back to the reservation, why? Why try to prove something to the white people? Why not prove that they are "warriors" to themselves. Even in the book it was said that there was a new type of warrior, Junior was that, until he quit. They need to evolve to the present and future, I'm not saying let the past go, but times change and they are getting left behind. :-(
DeleteBianca, are you saying that you think the reason why the culture is fragile is because the Native American's refuse to put their past behind them? They think too much about how badly they are hurt instead of what they can do to fix it? I do agree, but I have something else to add.
DeleteLike I said in my above comment, I think that Norma does have some of the pride that there is so little of. She is honorable because she is fighting through frustration, fighting to no avail. But I think that there is such a thing as good pride, as well as bad pride. It is obvious that the Indians in Alexie's stories think that they have nothing to prove to the white man. . .bad pride? Good? Stepping out into white society in order to overcome obstacles does not have to mean that the Indian is trying to prove something to anyone. It seems as though this is being confused by the culture somehow. Stepping out of Reservation = Proving something to whites. Why does this have to be the case? Why not stepping out of reservation = Reincarnation of tradition and self worth?
So, as an amendment to my prior comment: Is the fragility due to a loss of pride, or the wrong kind of pride?
Jordan,
DeleteI think what Bianca is trying to say by saying the Native Americans "need to evolve to the present and future" is that they do not refuse to put their past behind them because their past is what makes them who they are; I believe she is saying something like the Indians should result to modernizing their forms of living and their technology. I like what you said about "stepping out of reservation=reincarnation of tradition and self worth". The Native American belief was to carry your traditions with you, but at the same time, improve your own life and step away from harsh conditions. What do you think contribute to a Native American's self worth?
-David
Exactly David! Well put, you said it better than me.
DeleteDavid when you say "improve your own life and step away from harsh conditions" are you saying that you feel like our way of living. is better than theres? Well I would agree with you on that because of the way I was conditioned in this society. I am a middle class white girl getting an expensive education.But I would have no idea, no matter how many books I read about this subject,about how they feel about the way they live because I did not live through the moments, past and present, that they have lived through. So who is to say they should "modernize"? Are we still trying to "assimulate" them? Sorry don't mean to be rude just a thought.
Delete-Aryn
Aryn, I really enjoyed reading your blog post. You did a great job with using textual evidence to support your argument. I also really liked the fact that you incorporated facts and statistics about the Native American population; it really helped me to understand the depth of the change in Native American culture throughout the years. I really liked how you compared Norma's quote, "making fry bread and helping people die are the last two things people are good at", to the fact that she is accepting the slow demise of her culture and her people. I really like how you pointed out that the way James Many Horses jokes about his death signifies how Native Americans today are hiding their pain with alcohol and "loving to hate their fathers". The Native American culture has been slowly dying for a while and I think humor is a big way they deal with it. I agree with David that you could have maybe used more textual evidence of James Many Horses joking about his sickness. If you threw in some examples of that then I think it would help us see just exactly the way he uses humor to hide the pain of death. I do however wonder if all Native Americans deal with death and sadness in the same way. Do you think every Native American has really accepted the fact that their culture is dying or that their use of humor and other things is just a way to push through the hard times?
ReplyDeleteAryn,
ReplyDeleteYou really helped me understand the text better with the supporting evidence that you provided us. On another note, this is the first time that I have really though about the fry bread and the meaning in this story. I simply just read over it not thinking anything of it when we were reading it in class. Alexie does a wonderful job of hiding important details with such simple objects. James Many Horses is a great example. He was probably one of my favorite characters in the book because to me, he always tried to be the uplifting character. No matter the struggles that he was going through, he still manged to keep everyone entertained.
To answer your question Michelle, I think that they use their humor and alcohol to push through the hard times. I agree that the reservation uses alcohol to hide their feelings and to escape from the problems that they are facing. Just like how they look at basketball on the reservation. It is kinda like they worship it in a sense. A lot is unstable on the reservation so they turn to basketball because it is something that is constant. They use it to get away just like the alcohol.
Great blog post!